Minimum 3 days of six learning hours per day
The purpose of training delivered against this standard is to provide delegates with an introduction to the sanding of wooden floors using approved methods in commercial and domestic environments.
The scope includes:
- hazards, risks and controls associated with the sanding of floors
- working with customers
- floor types, to include:
- hardwood and softwood floors
- subfloor moisture testing
- sanding machines, to include:
- types of abrasives, to include:
- correct selection
- correct usage
- floor layouts
- after care, to include:
Training delivered against this standard would be relevant to the following occupational group(s):
- operative and craft
There are no candidate pre-requisites as part of this standard.
As a minimum, course instructors must be able to demonstrate that, in relation to this standard, they have:
- a train the trainer or instructional techniques course certificate
- successfully completed training to this standard
- at least 2 years relevant industrial experience as a fitter
- a verifiable CV.
Delivery may be in an on or off the job environment.
All materials and equipment must be of a suitable quality and quantity for candidates to achieve learning outcomes, and must comply with relevant legislation.
The class size and candidate/instructor ratio must allow training to be delivered in a safe manner and enable candidates to achieve the learning outcomes.
The following delivery methods may not be used in the delivery of this standard:
This standard is considered to contain 51 per cent or more theoretical training.
For the successful completion of training, the trainer will be required to make a declaration of the learner’s contribution during the course and that they are confident the learner has understood the content of the course.
Quality assurance against this standard will require initial approval of the training organisation and their content mapped to the standard.
CITB will also conduct an approval intervention, either desk-based or centre visit, to ensure the training organisation can meet the requirements of the training standard.
Approved training organisations (ATOs) will be required to present information on records of training and assessment upon request to CITB for desk based analysis. They will also be visited annually by the CITB quality assurance team.
No renewal/refreshment requirements - there are no mandatory renewal or recommended refreshment requirements for this standard.
Either on request or in 3 years from approval date.
The candidate will be able to:
- Identify the hazards, risks and controls associated with sanding wood floor
- Work with clients to ensure their requirements are met
- Identify the tools used in wood floor sanding
- Identify floor types
- Identify types sanding machines used for wooden floors
- Select correct abrasive
- Discuss effect of floor layouts on finishing process
- Demonstrate after care techniques
- Demonstrate a range of finishing methods