The Labour Forecasting Tool (LFT) is utilised by 30 licensees across a range of organisations which include Local Authorities, Local Enterprise Partnerships, Developers, Contractors, Planners, Colleges, Government Departments, Chambers of Commerce and Government Agencies (LLDC).
The Labour Forecasting Tool is used to create data to:
- Support section 106 agreements between local authorities and developers
- Setting benchmarks for training, apprentices and job brokerage
- Creating Employment and Skills Plans
- Meeting the socio-economic outputs of The Social Value Act 2012
- Analysing construction pipelines at a construction and end-user level
- Measuring demand at a regional/sub-regional level to enable colleges and training providers to plan the right curriculum
- North East of England: 7 local authorities collaborated in their use of the LFT on a targeted recruitment and training project. They utilised the tool to produce forecasts at construction and end user phase, identifying demand and any skills gaps/shortages. Through partnerships this led to aligned training interventions, informed curriculum development across the region and effective job brokerage and apprenticeship activity. The bespoke evidence base provided a clear platform to enhance decision making across the entire region for the 7 authorities and their partners.
- Humber LEP: the Humber LEP used the LFT to analyse 20 projects that were viewed as ‘transformational’ for the area in terms of opportunities for employment creation and economic growth. The analysis demonstrated the employment and training opportunities at construction, end-user and through the supply chain that could be created in the Humber. This information was also used to support the investment strategy for the Humber LEP and allowed all 47 partners to understand and visualise the opportunities the projects could create if they were realised.
- GM Chamber: the Greater Manchester Chamber of Commerce utilised the LFT to analyse its construction pipeline (Valued at £15billion). The aim was to give confidence to the construction industry and training providers by clarifying the pipeline of opportunities and skills required in the Manchester region over the next 5 years.
“The Labour Forecasting Tool has enabled the Greater Manchester Chamber of Commerce to produce a realistic forecast of its construction pipeline for the first time. The major advantage of the LFT is its web based user friendly functionality, underpinned by a robust methodology that is updated automatically. This has enabled the GM Chamber to utilise an evidence base with it’s partners and plan for the GM region for the next 5 years on key employment and skills issues.
In addition to the tool itself, we were brilliantly supported by the CITB and the development team from WLC who on our request developed the system to enable us to upload information about multiple projects from one source, making the process hugely efficient. We look forward to working with CITB in the future as we progress with our research, particularly as we look at the possibility of rolling the model out on a national level with the Cabinet Office”
Jocelyne Underwood | Construction Sector Lead
Greater Manchester Chamber of Commerce